Diagnosed with fibromyalgia?
Then you know how difficult it can be just to get out of bed each morning. The pain and stiffness can be so severe that you need help just getting upright. Just taking a shower can wipe you out for the rest of the day. Everyday activities can seem impossible. There is a delicate balance between doing too much and not moving enough. Either one can set off a fibro flare that confines you to bed for days. We can’t always prevent or avoid a fibro flare. However, it helps to have some simple strategies to reduce the risk.
Here are my “top 10” strategies for avoiding a fibro flare.
- Stretch your muscles for a few minutes before getting out of bed.
- Roll to your side and then push up to a sitting position. Don’t try to stand up all in one step.
- GO SLOW. Give your body time to adjust to movement.
- Take a shower at night so you can recover while sleeping.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing. Donate everything else.
- Choose ONE activity to accomplish each day. Don’t try to clean the whole house.
- Stay on top of the pain by treating early. Use non-drug options first.
- Don’t be stubborn. Ask for help.
- Don’t sit for too long.
- Take frequent breaks.
What are your Fibro Top 10?